Sunday, July 14, 2013

Re-cobbled Cobbler

It is hard for me to believe I am writing this, let alone that I would ever in a bazillion years, ever find myself with the need to generate a Planned Over for any type of cobbler.  You see around my house there are two.  One of which is 15 years old and can eat his weight in, well lets be realistic, just about anything he puts his mind to.  I had no idea that male adolecents could eat as much as they do.  Did my boyfriend at the age of 15 hide this from me?  It never fails to boggle my mind when he makes himself a full on sandwich for a snack 15 minutes before dinner.  And that's even when he LIKES what I am making.  The second one at home loves cobbler.  Loves it.  The man has not met a fruit that to his liking, was not thoroughly enhanced with some flour, sugar, butter and a brief stint in a hot oven. 

It all began innocently enough.  Wanting cobbler but realizing that I was up to my eyeballs in the remainder of dinner prep, the husband took over mid recipe.  Miscommunication ensued.  I thought he understood that I had already added the sugar to the FRUIT, and he heard I had added ALL of the sugar required for the recipe.  Needless to say, after their first partially eaten servings,  neither of my cobbler eating males was having any more of this particular dish. 

So here we are, cobbler sans sugar coupled with a desire for variety and my unwillingness to throw out perfectly good food, and the re-cobbled Cobbler is born.

I took the remainder of the PlannedOver cobbler and chopped it. 




To that I added some fruit from the freezer, I had raspberries, blueberries and a few blackberries on hand, so in they went.  To add moisture, melted vanilla ice cream, and soy milk french vanilla creamer that found its way into my fridge following some houseguests.  I am certain that milk with a little vanilla extract would work equally well. 





Next I needed some body and binding.  I added a beaten egg and some crumbs.  I figured if you add bread crumbs to a crab cake to help it bind why not try graham cracker crumbs here.  It was a soupy mess, not worthy of a picture, but 45 minutes at 350 produced a nice crust with a soft, moist interior.  Served with a scoop of vanilla, this time around, not a leftover to be found!


Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment