Sunday, September 15, 2013

Ok with my CSA

When you are a planner, as I so apparently am, you do a lot of things in a particular order.  You plan your menus, plan your shopping lists, and your shopping trips.  And all of this planning, while time saving in the long run, can get a little bit boring and I can find myself sometimes in a bit of a rut.  Then springtime rolls around with it’s beautiful weather and my weekly CSA delivery to change things up just enough to keep me on my toes.  Vegetables appear that I would not normally put on my menus or shopping lists, and my great desire to use all of the beautiful ingredients in my delivery box, spurs my creativity.  Sometimes I create a masterpiece, and sometimes - well not so much, but I do enjoy being pushed outside of my comfort zone and the opportunity to try something new.

Roasted Okra.  Who knew.  I’ll tell you what I did NOT know, and that was what in the world to do with this giant ziplock of purple okra that showed up in my CSA box one week.  Um, Okra?  I haven’t had you since an unfortunate incident in an elementary school cafeteria in Montgomery Alabama many moons ago.  It was late so I reached for my go to  easy vegetable recipe - toss it with olive oil and salt and put in a 425 oven.  OKRA!!!  I have been know now to actually go to the store to buy it myownself.  Roasted okra is quite possibly the best preparation for this unique vegetable and it is delicious!  Even after I plate, my beloved and I both sneak into the kitchen to eat more, it’s that delish. I'm actually a little bit sad as I type this because I don't think there is any left.  And it is equally excellent on day two!







Okra - cut in half lengthwise
EVOO
Salt

Toss okra, oil and salt spread cut side down on a sheet pan and roast in a 425 oven for 25-30 minutes.  

Let me know if you make this and please tell me what you think about it!


Enjoy!  Happy Eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment