Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Roast Revival

I cooked a RibEye Roast for the first time - times 2 - this holiday season.  Having never cooked this cut of beef before I asked the butcher for recommendations.  For my 5 plus pound roast I was given the following instructions:

Bring the roast to room temperature by leaving on the counter for one hour prior to cooking Preheat the oven to 350- Cook for one hour then turn the oven off.  DO NOT OPEN the Door during this time.  Wait one hour.  Then turn the oven back on to 350 and cook 20-40 minutes depending upon your preference for how rare you like your beef.

She told me she had been cooking her roast this way for 25 years and true to her word it came out beautifully!  Now I just need to remember to stop in and let her know how it turned out!

The marbling in a ribeye is a beautiful thing and provides so much of the rich beefy flavor of this particular cut of beef.  Especially when it is hot.  Next day ribeye leftovers that marbling can seem obscene as if somehow overnight in the refrigerator all of the fat molecules joined forces and multiplied - a lot.  I figured I could take advantage of their effort and use a braise to melt the fat and re-infuse the meat -making it tender and juicy.  I fine chopped all I had left and added it to a pan with some remaining au jus and a little broth and simmered it all for about 30 minutes.  Sauteed up a mess of peppers and onions and my Ribeye Roast was reborn into a Philly Cheese Steak.

 Enjoy and Happy Eating!!!

By the way...................Spencer says



1 comment:

  1. This roast was unbelievable. Tender, tasty. cooked just right.

    ReplyDelete