Sunday, May 26, 2013

Greens Gravy

No, not pot lick her.  And for those of you who clicked through hoping for some cool new way to get high,  spoiler alert, it is not about marijuana either.  


Now those of you who don’t live down here in God’s country, might just not know what I am talking about.  But first let me put in a huge disclaimer that I, readily believe that there are, and I am fortunate to have been to, many, many beautiful places here on this earth, so I am NOT implying that where you live is in anyway whatsoever inferior to where I reside.  HOWEVER,  after living in South Carolina for nineteen years, I believe that it is a LAW that you have to use that EXACT phrase when referring to the place that you live.  As long as it is in the South.  Or something like that.  


Anyhoo.


Pot Liquor, Pot Likker and any other way you want to spell it is the delicious “broth” that remains following the cooking of specifically Collard Greens, but for the purpose of simplicity, I will use the term to refer to “any liquid remaining following the cooking of leafy greens”.  If you are a details kind of person you can see an “official definition” on Wikipedia.  I think we can all agree Pot Liquor sounds better.  Collards, Turnips, Mustard green - all cooked in either water, or as I prefer, some type of seasoned “broth”   I am also including sauteed spinach in this list, as noted in a previous blog Popeye the Sailor Man, I eat A LOT of spinach, and when sauteed, you are left with a pan full of juice just wondering what to do with it.  You can’t simply throw it away can you?  Not if you are a plannedoverie kind of person.  That kind of person would save it and use it in place of broth in quinoa, as the basis for a roux when making mac and cheese, as a thinner for hummus or, as was the case last night, use it again for it’s original intended purpose, to cook another batch of greens.


You see, I have a  Community Supported Agriculture, CSA share at Ovis Hill Farm, and if you do as well you know that in the spring and fall you are going to get LOTS of greens.  And greens are great*, and it is lovely on a day when you have lots of time to reduce down your water and herbs and, my secret ingredient liquid smoke, but what about when you don’t?  Being the planner that I am, you pull out perfectly seasoned pot liquor from the freezer throw it in a pot, chop up your greens, throw them in a pot and 40 minutes later - you are guaranteed some good eating.


Greens and Quinoa cooked with.....Spinach pot likker!!

*The correct Southern way to phrase this would be, I love me some greens!
Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment