Sunday, May 19, 2013

Potato potaato....

Potato Pancakes, I had known them for years, I had made them for years. Shredded potato, a little egg, maybe some onion.  Top with sour cream or applesauce or sour cream.  Also known as latkes.  Served as part of Hanukkah.....See?  I know potato pancakes.


Until I met Michael.  I made potato pancakes and was immediately informed, in no uncertain terms, that although what I had made were, delicious and lovely, they were arguably not, potato pancakes.  Well, at least not according to him.  In his world potato pancakes were always made from leftover mashed potatoes. Not growing up in a house where mashed potatoes were often served, I am not sure sister and I ever allowed there to BE leftover mashed potatoes. And by not often, I mean MAYBE once a year.  And did we highly anticipate the glorious day when the fluffy white deliciousness would grace our plates.  Then, one year, my mother in all of her creative glory, mixed pureed carrots WITH the mashed potatoes, and I am sure I don’t even need to say it out loud what a disastrously horrific experience that was.  It was like green food coloring in your milk.  You know it doesn’t alter the taste, but still can’t quite get it down.  Actually it was NOTHING like that and the flavor of the carrots grossly overpowered the delicate potato.  All you were left with were two highly hormonal teenage girls who were also highly disappointed.  My poor mother.


How can you not love mashed potatoes?  Warm and creamy, and buttery and salty, to simply begin with, and the whole range of flavoring options what with the mix ins and ad-ons.  Garlic mash, blue cheese mash, fully loaded mash with bacon, green onions, cheddar and sour cream. The possibilities are truly endless.  Which makes mashed potatoes an ULTIMATE PlannedOver.  Mashed Potatoes become Mashed Potato Pancakes. OR Mix um up plain one day and throw in some add ins or toppings and you have yourself a whole nother animal.  Get creative with it.  But please, no carrots.


My PlannedOvers even had a touch of gravy...Why not???
In honor of mother's day, a nod to my mother in law who made mashed potatoes into PlannedOvers without even knowing it!
Add one beaten egg and some AP flour






Like a thick pancake batter






Flip when golden brown
PlannedOver Mashed Potatoes
1 Egg beaten
Flour
Mix until batter resembles thick pancake batter

If you are looking for exact measurements try this from Food.com


Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment