Sunday, May 12, 2013

Popeye the Sailor Man

Popeye the Sailor Man


While Popeye certainly had a great affinity for canned spinach, I can’t say I’ve ever tried it.  My father, to this day, refuses to eat freshly sauteed spinach BECAUSE of canned spinach, so it’s not high on my priority list. But fresh sauteed spinach is a different sort of animal,  and something I absolutely adore. I LOVE sauteed spinach.  It is a food I crave and eat in large quantities, therefore there is usually a good bit at the end of the day to be worked into a PlannedOver.  So today, in honor of the Kentucky Derby, we are going to have a three way - PlannedOver style.


Part One - Sauteed Spinach becomes Creamed Spinach, and I use the term creamed more of in a textural way, not in like, actual cream...

Sauteed Spinach and Creamed Spinach



Creamed Spinach


Sauteed Spinach
Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt
Finely grated Parmesan - Please, please, please not from a green can
White pepper
An egg


Blend all together and bake in a 350 oven for an hour or a 375 for 45 minutes. You want to develop a nice crust, or at least I do.


Part Deaux - Creamed Spinach becomes Broiled Tomatoes
My darling husband introduced me to stone crabs at Joe's  in Miami, which are quite possibly one of the best foods ever. If you have never had them - I’m sorry.  Please, if the opportunity were to ever present itself, SEIZE THE DAY, and eat you some Stone Crabs.  You will thank me, trust me. Side food tangent...   so, the stone crabs were served WITH the most delectable broiled tomatoes topped with a spinach mixture that I had to learn to replicate.  And I did.



Broiled Tomatoes Post Broil
Broiled Tomatoes Pre Broiler



PlannedOver Broiled Tomatoes

PlannedOver Creamed Spinach
Liquid Smoke
Smoked Paprika
Smoked Sea Salt
More Parmesan cheese
½ inch thick slices of tomato


Mix ingredients together and mound atop each tomato slice distributing evenly.  Place in oven under broiler 8-10 minutes, again looking for some golden brown spots and heated through.


And for the Trifecta - Broiled Tomatoes become a Smoked Spinach and tomato Omelette*


Smoked Spinach and Tomato Omelette*

Chop Broiled Tomato, distribute along the midline of your omelette* about ½ way through cooking.  You always have the option to add a few slices of your favorite cheese, because we ALL know there is no such thing as too much cheese.

*****BONUS******  Since I wrote this, I found ANOTHER fabulous planned over!!!  It's the Broiled Tomato Grilled Cheese!!!!

Butter
Bread
Cheese
Broiled Tomato - squished out a bit to cover the whole sandwich
Cheese 
Bread 
Butter

Put in a pan and make it all toasty and melty............mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

*Why does that word have to have so many letters in it- it is nearly impossible to spell, I gave UP on spell check and texted the sister, Really?  Shouldn't it be omlet?

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment