Sunday, March 9, 2014

Costco and Broccoli Stalks

A long time ago in a forest far away lived a whole very big bunch of broccoli.  Won't you join us please on this four part planned over that will take us on an unprecedented use of plannedover product.

It all began with a trip to Costco.  In which I shopped without consulting my fridge for inventory and now I have a new rule, a new shopping rule that is, that I will share with you so you can learn from the error of my ways.  Do not go to Costco straight from the airport after you have been gone for a week and buy industrial sized (IS) bags of vegetables.  Just do not, bad idea.  There is however, one caveat to this rule which proves you are the ultimate planner because your have made sure your fridge was empty when you left. In THAT case you can shop freely for extra large portions of perishables to your hearts content.  I however found my self with 1.5 IS bags of broccoli AND a small bit of mostly stems in a produce bag hiding in the back corner.  I had a LOT of broccoli.  Even my darling husband who NEVER complains about anything that I make feebly requested to have one day broccoli free.  So I had to get REALLY creative.

I triaged my supply and determined the stalks and half empty old IS bag of broccoli needed to go sooner rather than later.  What to do with stalks and oldish broccoli?  You could make the Broccoli Pesto I wrote about here ages ago.  Or you can keep it simple and oh so satisfying by throwing the broccoli bits, some onion and potato, and some stock into a big ole pot and you can make soup.  Broccoli soup is healthy, a great use of excess and unwanted broccoli parts, and most importantly deliciously comforting food.   Top with some cheddar cheese perhaps a dollop of sour cream and thoroughly enjoy!
Maybe not the most appetizing photo- but hey it's hard to take a picture of steaming soup!  Try Food and Wine's recipe!

And now..... what to do with our planned over Broccoli Soup???

Happy Eating!





No comments:

Post a Comment